Thursday, March 22, 2012

Day 8...a great example of Unmarketing

A good friend of ours, Melissa Marro is a genius at social media marketing.  I asked her if she would give me some guidance on how to promote myself, my book and my website and she has been awesome so far.  She suggested I read 2 books.  Unmarketing and the Zen of Social Media.  I uploaded the sample of Unmarketing to my Kindle and read it yesterday...today I'll buy the book itself and get cracking on it in my free time lol..that's a funny one...free time...sometimes I crack myself up!!

What I got from the first part of the book is that no matter the size of your company the thing that is NOT going to get you business is the traditional marketing - cold calling and ads.  The way to sell your product or service is by becoming a 'recognized expert' in your field and getting other people to promote you....and I had a perfect experience of that last night.

Every Wednesday is our swim practice for the triathlon we (me, Lisa, Jeff, Kim and Erin) are doing for Joe and we're hoping to raise $20,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  If you've read my book you know I really don't like swimming.  It sucks!  But as the race calls for me to swim 1500 meters I think it is prudent for me to go to the pool and practice.  This will be my second time in a month.  The first time was, and I can't believe I'm actually writing this, excellent!  Last night was even better!!!  For one simple reason - Coach Andy.  He is amazing.  Oh, I should also preface these observations with letting you know I've been swimming actively for the last 12 years.  I've done 3 mile ocean swims regularly.  I did the ironman which is a 2.4 mile swim.  So it's not that I'm a novice to this discipline.

So here's my 'aha' moment.  I think Andy is a teacher by trade and is helping coach because his 22 year old son is part of our fundraising group.  If he was a swim coach I would, without him asking me, offer to write or tape a testimonial saying how incredible he is.  I'd say something like "I've been swimming for a looong time and in 2 sessions with Andy am already a better swimmer than I'd ever imagine.  He knows so much and is able to impart that so easily it's truly amazing.  You have to hire him."  Or words to that effect.

So now it's up to me to get other people to say the same of me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment