Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 6...ish!! and a review of the chapter 'compete in something..anything...

I've already lost track regarding what day it is after my first entry.  Which is to be expected when you take all things into consideration.  Which I won't go into right now because as the rest of the title says it's all about competing in something...anything...

Not wanting to be hypocritical as a coach I'm going to detail my race schedule.  I'll start out with one I did the other day.  It was the local St Patty's day 5k.  I ran it last year in about 24 to 25 minutes - I forget the exact time.  I did it this year in 25:12 which may look as if I've slowed but it was substantially better than last year because of 2 things.  First, and most importantly, I ran the last 400 yards with my 4 and a half year old son Quinlan, which as a father is the ultimate reward of life.  Secondly this was my first 'real' race after tearing my knee up.  If you haven't read the second book of '52 steps' you won't know that I was demonstrating how to do a handstand to a teenage client and twisted my knee so badly (a complete fluke injury) I almost passed out from the pain.  It was so bad that at one stage I was worried for my career as a trainer.  I couldn't climb the steps with my 1 year old in my arms.  I struggled to get in and out of the car.  I almost fell over one day trying to play soccer with Quin my knee was so weak.  I envisioned myself being that guy who 'used to race' but couldn't any more.  Thankfully I'm baaack...

And here's what's next - in theory!  The Cooper River Bridge 10k in 2 weeks.  It's always around my birthday and my goal is always to beat my age.  I'll be 53 this year and plan on coming in under 53 minutes and 59 seconds.  I'll struggle to beat last year's time of under 50 minutes.  I'm scheduled to compete in a 100 mile bike ride the day after but I think I'm going to have to drop down to the 50 miler.  We have friends in town and there's going to be a bit of a birthday bash for me so I really don't want to set myself up to either fail or feel miserable afterwards.  We'll see.  Next is a 5k downtown mid April.  Then either a sprint triathlon or one leg of a half ironman triathlon at the end of April.  There's a 10k in May.  Then I'll do one of the James Island Sprint triathlons in May or June.  A big race on my calendar is at the end of June and that's the triathlon we, as a family, are competing in to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in the name of Lisa's step dad Joe who is currently undergoing chemo for a precursor to leukemia.

I think that's about it...Oh yes, the Assault on Mount Marion.  That's penciled in there as well...I'll elaboarate about that one at some stage later...meanwhile, it's time to make a healthy breakfast for the family and get cracking on what's going to be a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment